Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fuel Cells

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moparrulz1967

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Fuel Cells Reply with quote

What color were fuel cells on late 70's and early 80's cars? Was there a standard color or did it vary by teams?
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Cells Reply with quote

moparrulz1967 wrote:
What color were fuel cells on late 70's and early 80's cars? Was there a standard color or did it vary by teams?
GOOD question! I had always made the assumption they were black, being made of rubber, but you pose a good question.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen ATL brand in red......but sure teams painted them too.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
I've seen ATL brand in red......but sure teams painted them too.

Remember the fuel cell by itself might be red ( or blue for another manufacturer -- I forgot who ), but the car has to have a fuel cell box, that the actual cell drops into and is bolted down. Only the top of the cell is exposed in the trunk, so the box itself would be painted with the rest of the chassis before the cell is installed. And yes the cell must be available and removed from the box for inspection upon " Request " of NASCAR officials. Rolling Eyes
john843

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

George is spot on(as usual) on the box. On at least two of our cars that came as rollers(Laughlin and Port City) they came from the builder with the fabricated sheet metal box for the cell already cut, bent and installed. They came with a top with about forty eight 3/4" long 5/16th bolts but you had to cut the oval inlet hole for whatever style and brand cell you had yourself. If you go with the color of the rest of the chassis underside, you'll be correct since most of what you see underneath is as George said, not the cell but it's containment box.

John
odcics2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the cell bladder is always black.

I'd agree that a built in fuel cell housing would be chassis/trunk color.
But, I have also seen a red cell housing dropped into a different colored chassis.

Pics on the net of the K&K Daytona show a drop in cell housing, in place of the original Nichels "built in" housing. It also shows straps, which they didn't have at that time frame.
Remnants of the original cell are still there.
Ed Billing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I faux finished a fuel cell to look like wood and about got us thrown out of the garage area. We had to use a magnet to prove it was metal. The inspector went and got the entire inspection crew to show them. Very Happy
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Billing wrote:
I faux finished a fuel cell to look like wood and about got us thrown out of the garage area. We had to use a magnet to prove it was metal. The inspector went and got the entire inspection crew to show them. Very Happy
Okay, hands down THAT is the funniest NASCAR prank I've ever heard! Laughing Laughing
George Andrews

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Billing wrote:

You could have pointed out the wooden 2 x 4 roll bars that some early race cars had !!! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: