Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

'61 Weatherly Pontiac question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
john843

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:39 pm    Post subject: '61 Weatherly Pontiac question Reply with quote

I've been helping a friend get the parts together for converting the 1962 AMT/Ertle 421 SD to a stock car and was wondering how much the'61 Moebius Weatherly kit has in common with the AMT chassis-wise? I haven't seen the inside of the '61 kit but from pictures, it looks like it has the separate frame/pan like the AMT and other similarities. I do remember that the AMT '62 was one of the better engineered kits I've built in years and was a total pleasure going together. All I had to do to build a Ray Fox car was replace the rear seat with a bulkhead, flip the front spindles upside down, add a racing bucket seat, PPP cage, proper tires, and replace the dual carb setup.
If I remember correctly the '62 was an all new tool around 2000(?) and the first one I bought had a '66 Olds W-30 body in the box instead of the Pontiac. A quick phone call to Dyersville got me a new one here in days though.

Thanks'
John
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried it but I've heard they're pretty similar. Not surprising since the 1:1 cars had very few changes between '61 and '62 and the same designer was in charge of both the AMT '62 and the Moebius '61 kits.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the 62 body will fit the 61 chassis
Bill
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Weatherly Pontiac is an absolute doll of a kit to build. One of the most trouble-free and guesswork-free kits I've built in a good while. Everything just works. I too hope the '62 Pontiac body is a drop-fit - it would make life so much easier.

Jodie Peeler
john843

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

octopusmotor wrote:
The Weatherly Pontiac is an absolute doll of a kit to build. One of the most trouble-free and guesswork-free kits I've built in a good while. Everything just works. I too hope the '62 Pontiac body is a drop-fit - it would make life so much easier.

Jodie Peeler

That's exactly how I felt about the '62 AMT. At that point, about all the modeling I was doing involved figuring out on my own how to correct the Polar Lights Ford's and Mercury's (and locating those hard to find locating points!) and converting Duke's Charger's into C500 stock cars. The AMT 421 SD almost seemed to fall together compared to my other projects and was a great break from all the grunt work you had to do on many kits before you get to the "fun" part. Another kit that was a real pleasure going together was the Lindberg "Dyno Don" '61 Impala. These two kits went a long way toward keeping me into modeling at the time.
....hmmm -I bet the '61 Lindberg body (or the AMT '62 Dyno Don Bel Air) on the Weatherly chassis would be a welcome shortcut to a Rex White (and others) Chevy build....

John
Bill J

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
octopusmotor wrote:

Jodie Peeler

That's exactly how I felt about the '62 AMT. At that point, about all the modeling I was doing involved figuring out on my own how to correct the Polar Lights Ford's and Mercury's (and locating those hard to find locating points!) and converting Duke's Charger's into C500 stock cars. The AMT 421 SD almost seemed to fall together compared to my other projects and was a great break from all the grunt work you had to do on many kits before you get to the "fun" part. Another kit that was a real pleasure going together was the Lindberg "Dyno Don" '61 Impala. These two kits went a long way toward keeping me into modeling at the time.
....hmmm -I bet the '61 Lindberg body (or the AMT '62 Dyno Don Bel Air) on the Weatherly chassis would be a welcome shortcut to a Rex White (and others) Chevy build....

John

John, the Chevy from that same era had a completely different frame than the Pontiacs. It was a wishbone type thing, narrow in the center, which a 2 piece drive shaft tunneled through, and widened out at the ends towards the bumpers. The Pontiacs had a box frame layout with side rails out near the rocker panels.
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both the '61, and '62 Pontiac kits are excellent kits in my opinion. I looked at the two kits side by side several weeks ago, and they appear to me to be direct drop in fits. Both wheel base length, and track.
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J wrote:

John, the Chevy from that same era had a completely different frame than the Pontiacs. It was a wishbone type thing....

Yeah, those were the days of the X-frame Chevys. A little more than a decade ago I got asked to build three Rex White cars from that era and became very familiar with what it takes to convert a Revell/Monogram 1959/60 Impala into a stock car. Let's just say that if it were possible to use the Weatherly Pontiac as a drop-fit donor, I wouldn't look at the remaining Impalas in my stash with a sense of "nahhh...not now." Very Happy

Jodie Peeler
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lindberg '61 is an easy conversion, I built one almost 20 years ago as my first real Darksider after getting back into the hobby. My camera and photography skills were pretty poor then but I tried to document the build. It was a pleasure to build and didn't require a lot of extra work, lowering it to get the ride height correct was the only thing that was fiddly and that wasn't awful. I used the PPP cage if I recall correctly. I can dig it out and take better photos if you're interested. It's not 100% accurate and there are things I would do differently now but it was fun and looks good in the case.

https://public.fotki.com/gearhead15/replica_of_ned_jarr/
Bill J

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The '61 looks great Tom. Always wanted to build that one, seems the decals are the holdup
john843

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got my hands on the '61 Weatherly kit and I must say I'm impressed. The tires are a little thin and will get replaced with some PPP's or parts box tires but other than that I can't find any issues at all. The cage, suspension components and such all seem to be in scale and very well engineered. At least on the kit I opened, there is a very minimum of flash or mold lines to deal with.
I thought that except for the body, that this kit might be a partial re-pop of the AMT '62 based on just seeing pics of the various sprues. While they are very similar (duh)they do seem to be a different tooling. Either way, it looks to me like one of those kits that will stand out later as being as Jodie said "a doll to build".

John
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the honor of working on the development of that kit. I was happy I got to contribute some research and decal artwork. The sad part is it looks like it will be the last NASCAR kit from Moebius for a long long time.....if ever.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave
i hate to hear that. The 61 was a great kit. i bought 6 of them and several each of the Hudson Hornets and Chrysler 300. is it a change in strategy or sales was not as high as they forecasted?
Bill
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moebius was bought by So Cal based Pegasus inc and they have little interest in cars of any kind. Several very needed kits in the works are cancelled.
JCee

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I built a couple of the Moebius 61 Pontiacs a few months back. Fantastic kits other than the instructions show the master cylinder going on the passenger side (the firewall actually has the correct holes in the drivers side though). And no matter what I did I couldn't get the radiator core support to fit. I wound up leaving them off.
john843

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Moebius was bought by So Cal based Pegasus inc and they have little interest in cars of any kind. Several very needed kits in the works are cancelled.

Is that the Pegasus that makes the high-end wheel/tire sets for lowriders and tuners? (maybe other stuff?)

John
Bill J

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

john843 wrote:
DaveVan wrote:

Is that the Pegasus that makes the high-end wheel/tire sets for lowriders and tuners? (maybe other stuff?)

John

Same ones
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.....and they run a huge hobby shop in So Cal......I visit each trip.
joe b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
I had the honor of working on the development of that kit. I was happy I got to contribute some research and decal artwork. The sad part is it looks like it will be the last NASCAR kit from Moebius for a long long time.....if ever.

why?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

see above
joe b

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well that stinks!! they sold out
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: