Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Engine Colour For Dale Earnhardt 1998 Daytona 500 Winner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sargee24

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Engine Colour For Dale Earnhardt 1998 Daytona 500 Winner Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm about to start my first Nascar racer. I have a Revell Monte Carlo with Dale Earnhardt markings from when he won the Daytona 500 in 1998. The engine calls for aluminum for the block and cylinder heads, actually for most of the engine. Is there a particular aluminum paint to replicate this?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Ted Barrett
18degrees

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have switched over to Tamiya AS-12 bare metal for most applications. Testors metalizers are great too.
Sargee24

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info!

I'll go out and get the some AS-12 this weekend. Should have the engine ready to spray by then.

Talk to you later,

Ted
john843

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since most of the Cup engines and components in the '80's and '90's were varying shades of metallic , an easy and cheap way to replicate them is to take a small amount of the lighter metallic (aluminum or silver) that the block is painted and put just a drop or two in 3 or 4 little tin-foil scraps about the size of a dime. I then dip a toothpick in flat black and stir a TINY amount in the first tinfoil of silver. On the next one I'll mix a drop of gold with the silver, maybe gunmetal in the 3rd one, etc. I cut several pieces of tinfoil about an inch square then press it over my little finger, making a tiny bowl and use the appropriate size brush to do the various components.
For a good example of how well an engine painted with subtly different metallics can look, check out any of forum member Bobby Winnett's (BW)
builds in the Showroom, Grayside, or Darkside forums.

John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: