Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Not everyone's cup o' tea - Showrods (Tom Daniel)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jbherri2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Not everyone's cup o' tea - Showrods (Tom Daniel) Reply with quote

The Vandal, which I completed a long time ago:

And the S'Cool Bus:

If you ever want to take a break from "serious" modeling, I'd recommend either kit. Smile I had a lot of fun with both.
dirtman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! Remember both very well. Nice job!

Rett
stewrtfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:38 am    Post subject: td Reply with quote

Thanks for starting thing this post. Our local model club will hold our annual contest on November 2nd. in Norfolk, Va. (facebook Tidewater Automotive modelers Society). Ok, I got a plug in for our club & contest.
Back to my story. We are doing a theme class dedicated to Tom Daniel.
By the way, he personally authorized use of his name and pictures. The winner of this class will receive an autographed picture from Tom after the contest.

Most of our members are in my age range of 61 & up, and have all built Tom's models over the years. We have a few young guys around 40 that are excited about this class. We're hoping for a big turn out.

Now, if any of you guys are close to the Hampton Rds. area of Va. check this out, we're a small club but turn out a pretty nice contest each year. We've done this for the last 30 years or so (forgot), and have a pretty good time.

Thanks again to JB for starting this post, and lets see more pictures of the Tom Daniel kits posted here.

Many thanks to Tom for the great kits he designed over the years, while mymain interest is 60's through 90's NASCAR (nothing new), I've always enjoyed building Tom's kits.

Happy modeling to all and if you're in the area in November please come by our contest, It is a ton of fun!
Vernon
sentsat71

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Builds!!!!

Didn't build that many of the Tom Daniels' designed kits. but this van one of them, but like so many builds that I built in the '70's dud not survive the various "purges" Had the S'cool bus as well, but never built it.
One does survive, the Corvette, which I seem to remember was his personal car.....
Had a chance to sell it, as I had in displayed at a LHS in Albuquerque, but turned it down...Glad I did.....have never seen that kit again.....
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the different color on Vandal........
stewrtfan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sentsat71 wrote:
Cool Builds!!!!

Didn't build that many of the Tom Daniels' designed kits. but this van one of them, but like so many builds that I built in the '70's dud not survive the various "purges" Had the S'cool bus as well, but never built it.
One does survive, the Corvette, which I seem to remember was his personal car.....
Had a chance to sell it, as I had in displayed at a LHS in Albuquerque, but turned it down...Glad I did.....have never seen that kit again.....

Hey Ed......At 61 years old I finally got the vette back. It was always one of my favorites. For Christmas this past year a good friend of mine was able to get one for me at very good price. I am working on this one and will have in our contest in November. The price one this kit on ebay is CRAZY! I guess I've been a little lucky in the last couple years, I picked up a SAND CRAB at swap meet for next to nothing, everything there, not even started.
Henryjint

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two nicely done builds.!!!!
Shunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are some classics...very nice.
jbherri2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the kind words. Now, I need to build something else!
Wild Bill 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Not everyone's cup o' tea - Showrods (Tom Daniel) Reply with quote

jbherri2 wrote:
The Vandal, which I completed a long time ago:

Cool, what did you use for the panelling and struts to hold the door up?
jbherri2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I used straightened paper clips for the strut (rod?) and stretched wire insulation over the base for the strut body (the black portion). I should have fashioned better ends, but it's just glue. I think white glue - I dipped the end of the paper clip that attached to the door into white glue and let it set up before attaching to the model.
sentsat71

PostPosted: Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stewrtfan wrote:
Quote:
At 61 years old I finally got the vette back. It was always one of my favorites. For Christmas this past year a good friend of mine was able to get one for me at very good price. I am working on this one and will have in our contest in November. The price one this kit on ebay is CRAZY! I guess I've been a little lucky in the last couple years, I picked up a SAND CRAB at swap meet for next to nothing, everything there, not even started.

Came close to getting my hands on the original issue of the the Tom Daniels old time Mack Fire engine, "Firecracker" but missed it. Did get the reissue, "Fire Iron" As far as I can tell, the difference between the two are the wheels and tires. the original version have rather wide wheels and tires both front and rear, and the reissue has narrower tires in the rear and more stock like up front, spoked wheels and thin tires...
OldTrucker

PostPosted: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember building the Vandall kit when it was first released!
One of many that were stolen years ago when we were moving.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Road Racers, Drag Racers, Open Wheels, Modifieds, Late Models, ect All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: