Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Silver paint to kill red styrene bleed...?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Firefly

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:48 pm    Post subject: Silver paint to kill red styrene bleed...? Reply with quote

This has been discussed before (in Randy's B.C.) but will need to bring this back up.
It's known that silver paint makes a great sealer for red, or dyed styrene to prevent bleed of the dye into the topcoat.

What particular silver paint works best to seal?

Would Alclad work?
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa up, pump the binders there! No need to waste Alcladd on this. Get a cheap can of Krylon silver metallic, silver foil, or any of the cheap "chrome in a can" stuff.

Most of them can be sprayed directly on the plastic but test on some sprue first. What you're doing is putting a reflective barrier down that reflects the red back on itself, muting it and whatever top coat/primer you use, is going to be reflected upon itself thus brightening it. I use the Krylon silver metallic on every red or yellow car I do. Never had an ill effect. The trick is complete coverage.
Lionpride

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've also used Tamiya AS-12 Bare Metal Silver with the same success.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Tamiya silver......always works for me. Alcad may lift later or who knows what....
halfbreed999

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive used Krylon for years with no problem. Nice cheap paint and gives a good base to start with.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the Day, I used Martin Senour Automotive primer, in the rattle can, for the tough primer jobs on both car bodies and Model Railroad stuff. It would even stick to Delrin !!! I don't know if it is even made nowadays; guess I'll have to stop by a NAPA Auto Parts store some day soon.
Firefly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

George Andrews wrote:
Back in the Day, I used Martin Senour Automotive primer, in the rattle can, for the tough primer jobs on both car bodies and Model Railroad stuff. It would even stick to Delrin !!! I don't know if it is even made nowadays; guess I'll have to stop by a NAPA Auto Parts store some day soon.

Thanks - they still do! (just checked the NAPA website)
George Andrews

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
George Andrews wrote:

Thanks - they still do! (just checked the NAPA website)

COOL !!! There is a NAPA Store in Tukwila, WA. that I will checkout soon. I hope they haven't changed the formula.
Two things that I really liked about Martin Senour Primer was the way it wet sanded out really smooth, and that it acted as a barrier for most any plastic and any paint, even the old Floquil Model Train paints that would attack some plastics. Of course, you should test it first !!! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: