Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dale Sr. Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
USNCHief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:02 pm    Post subject: Dale Sr. Question Reply with quote

If I wanted to build Dale Sr.'s first and last rides, what kits and decals do I need? I searched and could only come up with Jr's.
18degrees

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chief, you should be able to find the kits and decals you are looking for here-

www.mikesdecals.com
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't DE Sr first CUP ride the #96 1977 Thunderbird in the World 600???
Mack

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clarify "first". His first Cup/Grand National ride? Or his first race car at the local bullring? There's plenty stuff available to build about any Earnhardt Sr ride.
USNCHief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cup/Grand National and as I said, I searched this site and only came up with posts on Jr. Thanks for the tip on Mike's Decals, he does excellent service!
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yesterday's/WetWorks did the first Cup ride but it was about 15-18 years ago when the Polar Lights Chargers first came out. Be aware that the diecast is wrong. Very wrong. The last car was actually done (more or less) by Revell as a kit offering but the decals weren't that good. JWTBM (if I recall correctly) did the sheet and sold out within weeks. So they're out there, just not easy to find.
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powerslide (available through Mike's) did an excellent sheet for the 2000-2001 cars but it is presently sold out. It includes everything you need for the Daytona 500 car, including the Sonic logos for the rear panels and the correct markings for the rear of the car. It's worth asking around to see if anybody has a spare they'd sell you, as it's more complete and generally better than the 2001 kit's decals. The Powerslide sheet is well worth finding.

JWTBM did a sheet for the very attractive Goodwrench/Oreo car that Senior drove in the Bud Shootout. It sold out extremely fast when it was done in late 2001.

The 2000-2001 Revell Monte Carlo will need some changes to bring it up to spec, and then to modify to the configuration used at Daytona with the taxicab strip and Gurney lip on the spoiler. It's not really that hard. My build article on my Oreo car is here, and it will guide you through the process:

http://www.internetmodeler.com/2005/february/automotive/mcss.php

Good luck.

Jodie Peeler
john843

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Wasn't DE Sr first CUP ride the #96 1977 Thunderbird in the World 600???

I always thought his first Cup ride was the Ed Negre Charger #8.
10,000 RPM Sponsorship, maybe?

John
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dale's first Cup ride was at Charlotte in the #8 Ed Negre Dodge in 1975 (the blue 10,000 RPM car). The #96 Cardinal Tractors Ford (Torino, not Thunderbird) was a four-race stint with Will Cronkrite in 1978. IIRC, in between, Dale drove three races in Chevrolets (the Army car of Walter Ballard at Charlotte in 1976, the Hy-Gain car of Johnny Ray that Dale famously crashed at Atlanta in 1976, and the Belden Asphalt car of Henley Gray that he raced at Charlotte in 1977).

Jodie Peeler
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jodie.......
I always forget about the Negre ride.The Cronkite ride was, again IIRC, was given to DE Sr after Willy T Ribbs got a DUI in downtown Charlotte the week of the race. I hope that's right....or I am really getting a foggy memory!!! Thx

PS....I get the Cronkite Torino and Thunderbird mixed up......The Thunderbird was entered for Jerry Jolly in the Charlotte IMSA race to fill the field and draw the Cup fans......I think!
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All completely understandable, Dave, and honesty compels me to admit I had to double-check before I posted all that. Given what happened when Dale got the gig with Rod Osterlund, and given what he did with that opportunity, the lesser-known rides that got him started sort of get lost in the shadow. Smile

Jodie Peeler
USNCHief

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Fellas!!!
Lobo43

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:12 am    Post subject: Dale Charger Reply with quote

LoboGraphix makes these decals for the #8 Ed Negre owned car. Here is a link to see them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dale-Earnhardt-8-1974-10-000-RPM-Dodge-Charger-1-24th-scale-decals-LoboGraphix/264221082375?hash=item3d84cdc307:g:Xz4AAOSw1XFbwety

Bob
LoboGraphix
USNCHief

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Decals Reply with quote

Mike's is sold out and didn't reply to my query, so I'll keep looking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: