Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salvino Charger
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lionpride

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:20 am    Post subject: Salvino Charger Reply with quote

Looks like the very popular charger is in the works.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They got a chassis!!!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.J.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Salvinos is willing to continue to listening to the buyers and contributors and continue strive to make each kit better then the last they will be a company that racecar model builders can really get excited about for years to come. I am really liking their vision for what they are doing and planning, lets hope there goal is to ultimately put the best kits you can buy on the market.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not surprised this one isn't getting more traction. Maybe I can help. I've gone over a lot of the information on this particular body with Jim. He started with a photograph of an actual car to get his base body lines. From there the car will be contoured and the NASCAR elements added in.

This car is already having test shots done and should be out later this year.

Yes, it comes on the same, exhausting chassis. Maybe someone will be able to come up with something else in the near future. Rolling Eyes
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This kit with the Pontiac 2+2, DONE RIGHT, will sell bigger than the Olds......Keep them honest Adam!!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
This kit with the Pontiac 2+2, DONE RIGHT, will sell bigger than the Olds......Keep them honest Adam!!
Well I'll be honest with you, I had no notes on this one. He let me know ahead of time the forward pan hadn't been adjusted yet, meaning the panel hadn't been raised to race spec. I cautioned him and said "Go between the MPC and the Polar kit and you'll be good". The PL kit was way too shallow and the bumper too deep top to bottom. For a "street stock" car, it looked really good.

Now if I can just get him to include the quarter window "gills" as a separate part.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
Now if I can just get him to include the quarter window "gills" as a separate part.

When I pitch to include something small in a kit to R2....I always tell them if we include this extra the lunatic fringe will need to buy more just to get the extra stuff. Most times I win.....
The window filler would be a big plus.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

When I pitch to include something small in a kit to R2....I always tell them if we include this extra the lunatic fringe will need to buy more just to get the extra stuff. Most times I win.....
The window filler would be a big plus.
I do the same. I always remind them the cost/trouble of including these parts is negligible vs. the extra kits they'll sell. And if they don't include it, there's guys like me.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if the AMT Sportsman kits chassis' would be a good start on an updated NASCAR chassis?
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. Well, maybe if you adapt some pieces from it to go onto the AMT '71 Charger chassis but it's probably just as good to start with the AMT chassis and use the 1/16 Petty Charger to add the additional "heavy-ness" to the torsion bar crossmember and the rear brace in the floorpan between the forward spring mounts.

If the guys at Salvino's will listen to you, one characteristic of Petty cars from around '66 onward and almost all the Mopars soon after that was that the rear quarter panel was cut loose from the rocker panel at the bottom and flared out behind the door so that there was additional room for the tires. It's a signature of those cars, it's a bear to add into a kit that doesn't have it, and I'm not seeing it in that CAD model.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
Not really. Well, maybe if you adapt some pieces from it to go onto the AMT '71 Charger chassis but it's probably just as good to start with the AMT chassis and use the 1/16 Petty Charger to add the additional "heavy-ness" to the torsion bar crossmember and the rear brace in the floorpan between the forward spring mounts.

If the guys at Salvino's will listen to you, one characteristic of Petty cars from around '66 onward and almost all the Mopars soon after that was that the rear quarter panel was cut loose from the rocker panel at the bottom and flared out behind the door so that there was additional room for the tires. It's a signature of those cars, it's a bear to add into a kit that doesn't have it, and I'm not seeing it in that CAD model.
That was something Rick and I discussed at length the other day. As well as the humps the tires pounded into the charger's fender tops and the shape of the front fenders.

The humps won't be there. He's pretty focused on the body of this one because it's his (and nearly every Petty fans) favorite car. The first test print he sent out still needed the chin raised a bit and pretty sure the front fender flares.

If I understood correctly, the Charger bumpers will be the same for all years, with different inserts for 71, 73 and 74 up grilles. This car will likely be a sliding mold as well with inserts for the different years.

I also impressed upon them the difference in the 72 and 73 styles. Especially the slight difference in the quarter panels, the big difference in the quarter windows and of course the doors.

Obviously the car shown has the power bulge hood. I asked about the flat hood and they're thinking about it but no real plans to add it because of limited use.(?) Not to worry if they don't include it.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very few cars ever had the flat hood. Even the Baker car seemed to run the bulged hood most of the time, I'm okay with the bulged hood. If they build the mold to accept a copy of the MPC flat hood with no modification that would be a bonus.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baker, Allison and Robbins all ran it at one time or another. I can do a nice repop of the MPC unit, but I figure the more optional items I suggest... Wink The gill slit inserts weren't used much either but would make a nice option.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to throw in with you that the Revell Charger is likely the best starting point. After checking a few parts deeper the Dart sportsman kit's supporting players like the lower control arms and torsion bars are puny. So I'm slowly working out a setup where you can cut off the kit forks and just glue on the resin piece, then continue the build. You're right about the 1/16th as well. I'll base my mods mostly on that and a few restoration pictures I've found of a Daytona being restored. (Might have even found them here).
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Daytona is it? I'm not aware of any recent accurate Daytona projects that have been posted.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2019 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
What Daytona is it? I'm not aware of any recent accurate Daytona projects that have been posted.
I wish I could tell you but, I've somehow lost the photos. It had white frame/interior and red on the body.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
I'm going to throw in with you that the Revell Charger is likely the best starting point. After checking a few parts deeper the Dart sportsman kit's supporting players like the lower control arms and torsion bars are puny. So I'm slowly working out a setup where you can cut off the kit forks and just glue on the resin piece, then continue the build. You're right about the 1/16th as well. I'll base my mods mostly on that and a few restoration pictures I've found of a Daytona being restored. (Might have even found them here).

Not the Revell Chargers, the rear wheel wells are too small and the wrong shape. The AMT '71 chassis is a better choice.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the difference now. Plus, I prefer the solid pan to the two piece.

Here's one. The torsion bar setup on the 16th scale Charger, vs the stock unit. I'm going to have to scratch build this section aren't I?

P.S. I am working on a HEMI intake for NASCAR as well.
Bill J

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years back I bought a handful of correct hemi intakes from Bandit Resins. Not listed on Kenny's site, you have to do an email inquiry. I think Wingcar Builder mastered them.

Add a Fireball Modelworks Holley with the LeMans float bowls and you have a nice representation of the hemi intake used in NASCAR.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FOUND IT! It's a page about the restoration of #22.

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/found-last-wing-car/
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This project just picked up a LOT more interest for me! I just discovered Rocketresto and have been studying their restoration of the Hyde prepared K&K Dodge.

Pretty sure I have everything I need now to design a class A chassis. First thing I noticed was very similar construction between the Hyde stable and the Petty cars. So now we're down to this:

I know cost is an issue at times and I'd like to keep cost down. Since my base is an AMT chassis, would you guys prefer A: A forward frame and K-member set with a cover for the fuel cell to add on to the donor chassis?
OR B: Complete NASCAR chassis in one set?

EDIT: Pretty convinced this is the car MPC based it's kit on.
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
I see the difference now. Plus, I prefer the solid pan to the two piece.

Here's one. The torsion bar setup on the 16th scale Charger, vs the stock unit. I'm going to have to scratch build this section aren't I?

The torsion bar crossmember and the crossmember between the two front spring perches in the vicinity of the rear seat area on the floorpan are unique to the NASCAR chassis and much heavier duty than stock.
Bill J

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in your chassis Adam, whichever way you do it. While modding an AMT chassis is possible, it sure is a bit of work for more than one car. To have a modded chassis in resin available would be very, very helpful.

I am looking at Daytona's, Superbird and a Charger 500 or two. Always on the back burner. Kinda hard to get motivated to do all that fab work under a model.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J wrote:
I am interested in your chassis Adam, whichever way you do it. While modding an AMT chassis is possible, it sure is a bit of work for more than one car. To have a modded chassis in resin available would be very, very helpful.

I am looking at Daytona's, Superbird and a Charger 500 or two. Always on the back burner. Kinda hard to get motivated to do all that fab work under a model.
Well I'm learning quite a bit while researching. My sticking points right now are the torsion bar mounts under the pan and the spring setup Tom mentioned in the rear.

To get the right look, I think I'm actually going to blend the AMT, Revell and a little bit of Monogram NASCAR (likely T-bird panels) and of course scratch building.

From the look of the Harry Hyde car and Petty photos I'm using, MPC really wasn't that far off and neither is Salvinos. I just hate a flat, featureless pan where one doesn't belong.

So I'll be collecting what I need for this project while I wrap up the first set of Monte bumpers. With a little luck I'll have a nice set of resin items everyone can use by month's end.

The Hyde and Petty cars were the most simplistic in design and very similar so that's what I'm basing the '70's version on. The design should be good for 1968 to 1980... I hope.
Bill J

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't overlook this thread, lots of good information within.
http://randyayersmodeling.com/modelingforum/viewtopic.php?t=673
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which lines need removed? It's been decades since I was under a Charger and all I recognize is the emergency brake! Remove them all? Which ones are what, because none of them seem right or go where you'd expect.

AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know what? Don't answer. With apologies to Lionpride I just realized I totally hijacked his thread. I will start one of my own when I get back from paying bills.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chopped top custom?
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J wrote:
Chopped top custom?

That was my thought as well. The body is 'way too thick from the rockers to the bottom of the side window openings and the windshield is WAY too laid back.

DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be happy to supply a MPC Charger body to scan......just say'n....
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
I'd be happy to supply a MPC Charger body to scan......just say'n....

Their CAD guy doesn't have a very good eye for shape and proportion. Every body they've done has had issues like that. The Dodge will be the hardest to fix, it's badly out of proportion.
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s some interesting lighting in the prototype photo, almost as if it was being lit by the polar..err I mean the northern lights..
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the prototypes are printed in clear plastic. I'm thinking they have to use the blue light to see the lines. Maybe primer would help.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Birky wrote:
I think the prototypes are printed in clear plastic. I'm thinking they have to use the blue light to see the lines. Maybe primer would help.
The test shots are printed with a laser and gel that burns the image in a tank. The fluorescent light helps cure the resin and show flaws.
R.J.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just my 2 cents but the silhouette of the body looks pretty good, the top of the door form the a pillar back to the corner of the quarter window is to straight, the top door line needs to swoop down quit a bit more from the A pillar to the start of the quarter panel that would help with the chopped top look. As is it has the high belt line look like the Charger of today. One other thing that catches my eye is it looks like the front bumper would be to tall from the side view, the bottom line on the bumper area needs brought up which in turn would get the bottom curve of the fender in front of the wheel opening a little better looking. No expert here just thinking out loud.
Viperguy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2019 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait for the '71 Road Runner. It wasn't very flashy but always my favorite car.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've signed the KING!
hemiman_1999

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2019 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes and I just bought 2 of the Petty Olds 442 kits the Monte Carlo should not be far away and the Charger and Gran Prix 2+2 gotta be planned
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just had a couple go-rounds with Jim at Salvino's. For some reason he'd been told to add a body length crease along the side of the car. I successfully talked them into removing it. Out of hundreds of photos of stockers and having owned a few Chargers m'self, I couldn't let it pass. NONE of them had this phantom crease.
Tom Birky

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adam, is that the crease you can see on their prototype body just above the wheel openings, running the length of the body? AMT made a similar mistake on the 70 Chevelles. They added a strange bulge on the fender and door that is actually a reflection that shows on nearly every car, but is not part of the stamping. If only the Monte Carlos had received half the effort going into this Charger. (To clarify, glad they're getting it right)

Tom
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom Birky wrote:
Adam, is that the crease you can see on their prototype body just above the wheel openings, running the length of the body? AMT made a similar mistake on the 70 Chevelles. They added a strange bulge on the fender and door that is actually a reflection that shows on nearly every car, but is not part of the stamping. If only the Monte Carlos had received half the effort going into this Charger. (To clarify, glad they're getting it right)

Tom
That's the one. It would seem, as I was told "He see's it and told me to put it on." If the owner of the company is seeing fictitious lines, I think we've identified the problem! Rolling Eyes

With the Olds and the Monte, I pretty much left them alone, to see what they'd come up with. I should have badgered them like I did with this. I'll stay in Jim's ear. He knew that line wasn't supposed to be there, he just needed a kick in the pants from a few of us who are unwilling to accept any old thing they toss out. That's ANY kit company. Too many people spend their time stroking ego's, rather than having the stones to point out obvious flaws. I will not do that, especially with the MOPAR's.
18degrees

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does all this info you guys come across come from Facebook? Because i sure can’t find anything about upcoming releases on their webpage
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most info comes from FB....I am not on FB but their page is open so you can see it.
Team5050

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did i miss it but have there been no comments on having a body with the early charger “C” pillar? I’m referring to the body style that is pictured on the Petty Enterprises Buddy Baker number 11 MPC kit
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both 71-2 and 73-4 bodies will be done....same mold with different inserts.
18degrees

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any news on when the Charger, and the modified, will be out?
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

18degrees wrote:
Any news on when the Charger, and the modified, will be out?

They were shooting for June originally. Last word was early fourth quarter. I have a teleconference with them in a couple days, I'll see what I can find out as a pat answer.

They are going to use a sliding mold with inserts so both the '71-'72 kit and the '73-'74, can come essentially from the same molds.
gks1964

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope it's a good one!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: