Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monogram Buick Regal testing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:34 pm    Post subject: Monogram Buick Regal testing Reply with quote

Hadn't checked my FB in a minute, but it looks as though the folks at Salvinos JR are testing the molds for the Monogram Regal. Personally I think they should be cranking out "Donor" kits.

Were it me, I'd be offering the rolling stock and bodies separately. Then tooling all new bodies to fit these chassis.

What do we think guys?
DaveVan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to get some ROI on the Monogram molds without spending anything.....but yes....a GP 2+2 body for that chassis would sell....IF done right......I'll offer to consult!!
bigjeff3

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodies with the 88' rules package would sound great. SS roof rails , side skirts and side windows and very upgraded 89 Pontiac, Buick bodies to get ride of the underside window installations along with others.
Barry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:12 pm    Post subject: Monogram Buick Regal Testing Reply with quote

It's nice to see Salvinos JR doing some test shots on the Buick Regal rolling stock. This could be the basic underpinning for some never before released GM cars from that era. And, some possible reissues with all new decals, or 'generic' kits. DaveVan is right. A correct GP 2+2 body on that chassis would sell. Both Petty, and Rusty Wallace among others, ran that body style. Other bodies could be made to fit as well. An 86/87 Buick LeSabre, 81 Pontiac Lemans, 81/84 Olds Cutlass. Some good ideas here.

Barry
Ontario, Canada
iceman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you guys finding this, I looked on there Facebook page and there website and nothing about the Buick
Thanks
Joe
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be the second post down under the Circus Circus announcement.
iceman

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it Thanks
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I'd love to see the Regal again. IMHO the best of the early Monogram kits.
Would like to see them back date the Monte Carlo to the pre Aero Coupe also.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crime Dog wrote:
Personally I'd love to see the Regal again. IMHO the best of the early Monogram kits.
Would like to see them back date the Monte Carlo to the pre Aero Coupe also.

Pretty sure there is a Areo tool and a notchback tool for the Monte......they ran both at one time.
octopusmotor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Aerocoupe body and the standard coupe body are separate body tools, or if they're not, they were accomplished with a very good mold insert that's hard to distinguish. Revell reissued the "standard" body in 1998 or so as part of a legends/anniversary series. The Aerocoupe has also been reissued, of course. The bottom line is, both types should be able to be reissued whenever the mood strikes.

Jodie Peeler
23Malibu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SalvinosJRModels just posted a video of the Pontiac 2+2 rendering.
R.J.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pontiac makes more sense the early 80's Buick Regal is one of the most readily available kits still around.
George Andrews

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I salute Salvinos for taking a look at the 1982 Regal tooling, but I fear the tooling may be all used up. Lotsa mold shift evident on the later Regal kits.
Other drivers & teams that used the Pontiac 2+2 included Rahmoc, Mike Curb with Ron Bouchard, Jimmy Means, J.D. McDuffie, Dave Marcis, and Winston West driver Hershel McGriff, who drove the 2+2 in his 1986 Championship season.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pontiac 2+2 rendering looks decent for a early stage work. This may, if done right, out sell all Savinos kits to date. I'll be in for a case!
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
The Pontiac 2+2 rendering looks decent for a early stage work. This may, if done right, out sell all Savinos kits to date. I'll be in for a case!
We said the same about the Monte. The Monogram chassis is moot if they give us another Lego body.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually ordered one more Salvinos Monte Carlo, with work and mods I think it will be fair......but that\s 2 and not the case I thought I'd buy. Same goes for the 2+2.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
I actually ordered one more Salvinos Monte Carlo, with work and mods I think it will be fair......but that\s 2 and not the case I thought I'd buy. Same goes for the 2+2.
I'm hopeful. My main concern is that the rear window comes out right. We can sand the nose into shape.
Steve Salhany

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First view of the render showed the window to be the correct shape. It was much longer than the Monte's window.

I've built a resin 2+2 body and I'll be very happy if one comes out in plastic.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the correct shape overall but, the edges are too sharp. The MC had a sharp edge along the window line that continues the roof line. The GP was a softer line. All I'm saying is I hope he tweaks it before the final product. At least the riveting is there along the window edge. (Not joking, not pot stirring, just mentioning them)

The nose of the car appears to have the proper angle and width. He's changed the lower grilles to the proper shape and added the spoiler kit. If the upper grilles turn out right they'll have a winner. I'm wondering if the nose will be a separate part (likely) and how many parts it will entail. One piece? Four? If they follow Monogram formula the headlight covers at least will be separate and judging by the shape the spoiler might as well. High hopes, reserved anticipation.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bumper guards look a little off to me.......compared to photos of real Cup cars and resin on hand.
R.J.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can someone post a picture I do not have facebook.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.J. wrote:
They haven't posted any photos yet. hopefully somebody can do a screen grab from the video.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.J. wrote:

you can view it on the Savinos fb site w/o being a fb member
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
It's the correct shape overall but, the edges are too sharp. The MC had a sharp edge along the window line that continues the roof line. The GP was a softer line. All I'm saying is I hope he tweaks it before the final product. At least the riveting is there along the window edge. (Not joking, not pot stirring, just mentioning them)

The nose of the car appears to have the proper angle and width. He's changed the lower grilles to the proper shape and added the spoiler kit. If the upper grilles turn out right they'll have a winner. I'm wondering if the nose will be a separate part (likely) and how many parts it will entail. One piece? Four? If they follow Monogram formula the headlight covers at least will be separate and judging by the shape the spoiler might as well. High hopes, reserved anticipation.

The roof crease wasn't changed for the 2+2, it was sharp on the 1:1. One of the more awkward lines on the car was the way the rounded window used the window molding to blend the two rather different lines.

Lionpride

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That had to be one hot car in the southern climates during the summer. So much glass!
Henryjint

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lionpride wrote:
That had to be one hot car in the southern climates during the summer. So much glass!

Like an overgrown 65-66 Plymouth Barracuda!
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the weakest points on those chassis was the way the rear axle mounted on the trailing arms, I always use some wire to wrap around it tight, I have some I built a long time ago without doing that and the axles have popped up off the trailing arms.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

The roof crease wasn't changed for the 2+2, it was sharp on the 1:1. One of the more awkward lines on the car was the way the rounded window used the window molding to blend the two rather different lines.

THANK you! I was trying like heck to find the proper photo and explanation. You summed it up nicely. Now I don't for a moment think that the degree of rollover will detract from the already fine Monogram body. It seems to me, if the reduce the size of the bumper guards a hair, they've got the nose down pat.
I would like to see them put a cutout marker under the deck lid, like the older MPC customs, for cutting it out and adding the 2+2 window. One extra window and an extra nose clip you have the first 2-in-1 nascar kit.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here we go.

AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mentioned the window line on FB and Jim thumbed it up so he is aware. With the exception of some too dark character lines on the hood. (I have no idea how they'll translate) I also let him know the community has high hopes for an add on situation or an all new body tool as we wouldn't want the original permanently altered.

Looking closer the headlight areas seem a bit too far forward and the lower grilles could be a bit smaller. The headlight plates should be set back into a socket, not on the surface. Again I do not know how much farther this has to go for Jim to be satisfied, just some notes.
Bill J

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rear window needs to be more rounded, there was no hard edge to the window like on the Monte Carlo. I used to own a 1:1 '87 Monte Carlo Aerocoupe and compared it a time or two with a 2+2 and the rear glass is longer and rounder than the Monte. The area where the glass meets the trunk lid is a big bubble looking area too, the may have gotten that part right.

Adam is correct on the headlights, they need to be recessed and the actual headlight surface needs to be vertical.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim just posted a response to my suggestions:
Jim Rogers Adam Wayne , we will do it right, there will be two separate bodies, no compromises! Front clip will be separate, we will have a completely different mold for the flat back window version.

Very Happy
Mack

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea on the retail price of the Buick?
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be information I am not privilege to but, considering all the factors that could affect the price point (driver/sponsor licensing, automotive division licensing etc.) one would hope for a more on the average price point. They already own the tooling but of course that purchase has to be accounted for but they don't have to tool several cars so, who knows?

Not to set the price point for them, I would expect something like these to come out at or just above, current market values or, between $24 and $34.

Then again, there's always the possibility I am WAAAAAYYY off. (<Expect it to be that.) Laughing
joe b

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
Tom M. wrote:
AdamtheWayne wrote:

THANK you! I was trying like heck to find the proper photo and explanation. You summed it up nicely. Now I don't for a moment think that the degree of rollover will detract from the already fine Monogram body. It seems to me, if the reduce the size of the bumper guards a hair, they've got the nose down pat.
I would like to see them put a cutout marker under the deck lid, like the older MPC customs, for cutting it out and adding the 2+2 window. One extra window and an extra nose clip you have the first 2-in-1 nascar kit.

actually i seen some multiple photos of the same cars (kodiak, valvoline) some had the front bumper guards and some didn't. none had the rear guards. adam your idea for the 2-1 gp is a good one. it would probably be quicker and cheaper for salvino's to just add the 2+2 glass and nose to the notch back kit.

joe
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the props Joe! Very Happy

As it is, I just had a lengthy, non-confrontational, bordering on jovial, conversation with the boys at Salvinos JR. Testing with the Regal is going well and they are looking for driver's to sign. (Ahhhh… wordplay.)

The headlight plates have been fixed on the 2+2 and are now vertical. We discussed the headlight pods being too aggressive and agreed they should just back off! Seriously, I drew him a picture and everything.

In case you're wondering, the semi syntotic lines across the hood and nose are the creases that represent the rise to the peak so, all new hood!

I laid out all the frustrations with the Monte Carlo and he get's it. Jim is also going to look into the issue with the windshield frame and the crease in the roof. Both pretty easy fixes but I told him both were likely due to the sliding mold for the body but the windshield trim? That's just sloppy cutting, no excuse, and he said he'd be looking into that.

I brought up the poor fit of the parts and he agreed he'd been hearing some pins are too big for their adjoining holes.

Contrary to belief of late, if you approach with a sensible and respectful attitude, they are willing to discuss without defenses at full power. After our talk I had the sense that there's been a siege of sorts on them recently and I was able to explain matter of factly why. Both of us felt better for the conversation afterward and I have decided to continue shoving information at them as needed.

The bulk of the molds left in Michigan were purchased by Atlantis Hobbies and they are working closely with Salvinos JR as well.

THIS is what got me! The guys at Atlantis helped put all this together to ensure the molds went where they SHOULD be, with companies who care about the subject matter! Sounds like there's been an amicable division of molds!
I did fail to inquire about the current Fusion kits etc. (SORRY!... sorry)

The only thing left I'm allowed to tell you (Otherwise you know, hunt you all down... I mean, who has that kind of time?!) is that the 2+2 kit will NOT repeat NOT harm or alter the original kit in any way! Hullilajah!

And that none of it is happening super fast, but changes are coming to their original designs, and all the Monogram kits will be back in the future.

I personally think right now they've made the soundest decision in going with new bodies for the Monogram kits. This speeds production, brings venerated kits back to market with new drivers and will generate much needed cash flow for a fledgeling company.

I guess I can also add, we discussed the cost waste with the glossy stock instruction sheets, the "real" chrome and the boxes. We agreed all the way around. One, he didn't agree to stop using glossy paper but did agree they need to tighten up on their instruction sheets and illustrations. Two, he's considering dropping the real chrome.

I told him there are a lot of chrome parts that aren't necessary (spoilers are aluminum) as well as a lot of guys who want to fix casting errors, real chrome makes that nigh impossible. You can't strip it, you can't paint on it and as a novelty, it was cool for one kit but, I think we're pretty much over it, right?

And three, the overly snug boxes. Get over it you big babies! Razz (JK!) They've been running both sides of the boxes (this is my guess) through the fold-n-glue without adjusting the crease from the top to the bottom. This is why the bottom isn't slightly smaller than the top. If I were them I'd try to get a little discount but that's me.

Bottom line is, it was a long and productive conversation and if they can back off a hair, take a breath and assure their footing with a hit, I believe one might just be coming... +2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: