Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ever wonder how accurate the under carriage ......

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crime Dog

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:58 pm    Post subject: Ever wonder how accurate the under carriage ...... Reply with quote

...of those Monogram Monte Carlos were?

George Andrews

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the headers ( standard rather than the 180 degree headers in the kit ) and a single exhaust pipe out each side -- The Monogram kit is there :!: NASCAR modelers of early 1980's GM front steer cars have had it made with this excellent kit. The follow - up Lumina kits also had an accurate chassis for the era modeled. Wink
john843

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was real late to the mid ''80s MCs and Buicks. I got back into modeling
several months before the original Polar Lights Talladegas and Cyclones and the Pro-Modeler Daytona came out (99?) and spent the next few years building those (with all that involves)and converting straight street car kits to stock cars. When I first started back I was well aware of the Mono kits but they were a little too "current" a subject for me then. In fact, it wasn't til a couple of years ago when forum member Tom Birkey sent me a MC Aerocoupe, regular MC, and the Olds to do the Crisco 88, that I saw what I'd been missing. I distinctly remember thinking when doing the Aerocoupe chassis that "this can't be this easy- there's gotta be a catch somewhere". Turns out it WAS easy to get a great replica with, compared to a lot of people here, minimal skills.

Thank you Monogram, and thank you again, Tom Birkey. I have spent a ton of hours on these things and while nothing's perfect....they're close enough for me:)

John
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject: Monogram Reply with quote

I remember reading a story in Scale Auto about super detailing the DW Buick Regal and thinking to myself wow what a kit! At the time the monogram NASCAR kits came out, their muscle car kits where super crude, they were just putting new graphics on Old Tom Daniels models for their hot rods, MPC and AMT was still doing annuals with tub Interiors and you could still buy new Johan product. And those Monogram GM NASCAR kits still stand up today!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Reference Photo's - Paint and Color Matching All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: