Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Got my Salvinos group Monte today Now with 100% more pics!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orangeastre

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amateur opinion here, but if the lower edges of the header panel were about 1/8” further up I think the front would look much better.
spooker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Salvino models Reply with quote

Bobby The Cabdriver wrote:
Everybody needs to keep in mind that the Revell bumper is a stock bumper with three large black rubber moldings on it, 2 bumper guards and a strip that runs across the length of it. This is the piece that I had the most trouble with when I was converting my Revell snap Tite.

Some of us have been around here long enough to remember Dencon Resin or Outlook Model Parts (same guy). He did a gorgeous set of resin bumpers for the Revell kit, rubber strips removed, openings sheetmetalled over, bolt holes, the works. I'm sure that if the new Monte kit warrants it, someone will do these again. I've got enough sets to do more cars than I'll probably ever build, but I'd buy a couple more if they ever get done again.

Brian
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it's point of view......These model of Monte Carlo were EXTREMELY popular at my local speedway. They will do fine for bullring builds.
Matt T.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the photo review. I will not buy this kit. Very disappointing. Pre-release CAD images looked great. Styrene does not.
Yellowsportwagon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These kits remind me of Polar Lights kits. They haven’t been finessed enough. The general shape is there but way too clunky. My biggest complaint is the roof is too thick above the side windows. The opera window is wrong and the qtr extensions are all out of whack. They make the back look way too long. I can fix the roof but those extensions will be rough.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see one myself so I can judge....but the DIST for my hobby shop says Salvino's has ignored attempts to order kits...... Shocked
I know others have the kits....but like to support the guy who stocks all the other stuff I need too.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my shipping notice from Salvino's that my Allison Monte Carlo and Olds are on the way
Bill
Yellowsportwagon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:
WR wrote:
I can't wait to get some of them they look great and this is a real missing link in the modeling of nascar race cars. I think some of you guy's want a kit that you put in a plastic bag squirt a little glue some paint shake it up and a car falls out, it really cracks me up how negative some of you are.

I have been the most positive person in the Salvinos corner up until now. NO, nobody expects to shake a bag and have a kit fall out. However there is such a thing as "reasonable expectation". When I purchase anything, I have a reasonable expectation that the item represents what is on the box and it's features. Well this does "represent" a Monte Carlo, but where it does NOT meet reasonable expectations is thus: It is a poor mixture of several years of a car that could have been done much better. To leave the block behind the rectangular headlight outline and just stick on a circle? That's just lazy. To have a part that needs a large portion sanded away before it fits and when it does, fits poorly? That is sloppy engineering. To have window trim that fades into obscurity and must be redone before building? Crappy mold cutting. It also fails in fit and assembly. As I stated above every other part seems to have an issue including parts from the first kit, that fit fine then!
So, WR, you buy all of them you want. I'm out. Disney, Marvel and BBC's Doctor Who are all learning the lesson of the Ghostbusters and Salvinos will too. People vote with their wallets, so I hope you're prepared to keep them afloat. Good luck and happy building. Can't wait to see how they ruin a Superbird.

I just noticed that square block under the headlight. Are you kidding me that’s ridiculous. I’m gonna have to get one of these to reshape to really look like a 74 Monte. I see sanding in my future . Lots of it!
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellowsportwagon wrote:
I just noticed that square block under the headlight. Are you kidding me that’s ridiculous. I’m gonna have to get one of these to reshape to really look like a 74 Monte. I see sanding in my future . Lots of it!

I am beginning to think a conversion of the Revell Monte Carlo is cheaper and less sanding.....

I'll see if my dealer can ever got the kits in.....
Mark C.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Salvino models Reply with quote

spooker wrote:
Everybody needs to keep in mind that the Revell bumper is a stock bumper with three large black rubber moldings on it, 2 bumper guards and a strip that runs across the length of it. This is the piece that I had the most trouble with when I was converting my Revell snap Tite.

Some of us have been around here long enough to remember Dencon Resin or Outlook Model Parts (same guy). He did a gorgeous set of resin bumpers for the Revell kit, rubber strips removed, openings sheetmetalled over, bolt holes, the works. I'm sure that if the new Monte kit warrants it, someone will do these again. I've got enough sets to do more cars than I'll probably ever build, but I'd buy a couple more if they ever get done again.

Brian

I remember those parts. I ordered and paid for them, among other parts, but never received anything except verbal abuse from the vendor. Meanwhile he was still selling parts on ebay all the while.

Too bad, they looked like nicely done parts, would like to have received what I paid for, but have since moved on... money lost, lesson learned. Would never order from that individual again.
WR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up 4 of them they look great to me can't wait to get started on a few
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR wrote:
Just picked up 4 of them they look great to me can't wait to get started on a few
Where were you able to get them from? I'm hearing of distributors that can't get them.
WR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SMH
Mack

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Received two from mikes decals. Looks good to me. But I haven't got into it yet. All this discussion reminds me of a funny Carl Edwards story. He had an offer to drive for Jack Rousch. He wasn't sure what to do so he sought advise from Kenny Schrader. Kenny told him to weigh the offer against all the other offers he had. The offer from Rousch was the only offer he had. That's my approach to the Salvino kits. Compared to all the other Cutlass/ Monte Carlo kits from that era, I'll find a way to be happy with these.
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said. ^^^
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw Salvino's announced doing the #27 Buddy Baker Monte-Carlo with an expected March shipping.
danjc

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mack, I couldn't agree with your words more! So very true. I got my Monte Carlo on order from Mikes, looking forward to it. Bill, thanks for the heads up on the Baker #27 Monte, as a fan of the 1970's Nascar I am happy Very Happy

Dan.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR wrote:

I really can't wait for you to post in progress reports. It will be a big help when I get mine. Photos are a big help. THANKS!
23Malibu

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm anxiously awaiting the delivery of mine. Got my ship notification a couple days ago. Last night I was looking on Mikes Decals to try to find another scheme to do on this Monte. Also did some searching on google and stumbled across Buddy's Circus Circus car. I contemplated doing the decals myself, but within a couple hours I saw the announcement from Salvinos about the March release. Reading my mind. I'm thankful for what they are doing and can't wait to see what's to come in the future.
Mark C.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... Looks like the front end could use a bit of a section under the headlights and above the grille, and the peaks of the fenders need to be curved downward a little rather than run straight out.

It'll take a little work but you can probably make something out of it....
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your photos show me what looks like an issue.......
The 'shadow of the 'stacked' headlight doors behind the round headlight doors, from your two photos, does not look right. Maybe the stacked door can be sanded off???
What do we do with all that space between the round headlight door and the bumper.....compared to the real car it looks double......tougher to fix....ideas???
WR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you are saying on the top of the fender that's a easy fix and as far as the space under the head light after seeing this I got to looking at some pictures and some were close as in the one you show and some were closer to the distance as the model has them also saw some with the wider distance and looks like a small piece of sheet metal turned up from the bumper to the headlight
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
Your photos show me what looks like an issue.......
The 'shadow of the 'stacked' headlight doors behind the round headlight doors, from your two photos, does not look right. Maybe the stacked door can be sanded off???
What do we do with all that space between the round headlight door and the bumper.....compared to the real car it looks double......tougher to fix....ideas???

The nose of this car is all over the place. There's a vertical surplus under the headlights, over the grille and the grille itself. As for the grille and it's surround they are square and a fairly straightforward fix.

The heavy issue is the amount of space under the headlights. According to the comparison photo the bumper is too low as well as the headlight area. Raising these to spec means a slight adjustment to the front fenders lower edge and moving it's crease up.

The simplest method I can see, is either sand off the ring and build up/blend the panel into the sides of the fender and grille box. Then replace the ring with a larger one mounted slightly lower, to take up some of that space, OR...

Remove the headlight circle and rectangular base entirely and replace the circle with a larger one. I think this would be the preferred course as it will add needed depth to the headlight area while making the headlight face a little larger allowing for the larger headlight ring.

Then round off the fender points, pitch the leading edge back a hair more towards the bottom and remove the light blanks from the bumper or use a Revell unit to modify.
Yellowsportwagon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark C. wrote:
Hmmm... Looks like the front end could use a bit of a section under the headlights and above the grille, and the peaks of the fenders need to be curved downward a little rather than run straight out.

It'll take a little work but you can probably make something out of it....

Yes this is exactly the problem. Take a sixteenth of an inch off below the headlight and above the grille move the whole thing up. Easy. Reshaping the top of the fender way harder. As you sand it down the top edge will get thicker on account of the fender cross section shape. You will have to thin it out which will be tough. The next problem is the opera window is too high and shaped wrong. The top should be even with the top of the door window. Not to hard of a fix. The roof however is too thick above the door glass makes roof look to body. Needs to be thinned down have t figured that one out yet. The taillight buckets are way to slanted towards the back they need to be flattened some. Then the bumper needs to be tucked in. I would cut some off the qtrs and bring the bumper forward.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tail light buckets should be no problem if you sand them down from the mounting face or backside. This can correct their depth and angle and due to the taper of them should fix the width problem as well. This of course forces the trailing edge of the deck lid to need sanding down as well as the bumper skirts.

The forward fender tops are easier than one would think. Yes they will widen as you sand them down but, you only need to go a tiny bit. Then, sanding from the outside of the fender to even the lines out, you'll wind up with a small, gentle inward sweep of the fender point, as on the comparison photo.

As for the window, I'd start at the c pillar and sand the roof with an emery board until the roofline/window opening looked right. From there it's a simple matter to adjust the opera window. Smile

Last edited by AdamtheWayne on Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Firefly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fender top needs to round down, but the headlight needs to come down with it. (notice the relative height of the fender top and the top of the headlight on the actual car.) Not sure how to lower the headlights, but that, in combination with shortening the grille and moving the bumper higher would get it closer to correct.

Bumper needs some work for the round-lamp MC though...
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firefly wrote:
The fender top needs to round down, but the headlight needs to come down with it. (notice the relative height of the fender top and the top of the headlight on the actual car.) Not sure how to lower the headlights, but that, in combination with shortening the grille and moving the bumper higher would get it closer to correct.

Bumper needs some work for the round-lamp MC though...

There's enough plastic on top of the headlight buckets, you should actually be able to lower them by sanding them down.
Firefly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yellowsportwagon wrote:
... The roof however is too thick above the door glass makes roof look to body. Needs to be thinned down have t figured that one out yet.

Along with the funky front, this stood out to me. The problem to me is that the rear part of the roof is too high. Notice the top edge of the side window, how the side edge of the roof wedges wider toward the rear. This affects the relative position of the opera window.
WR

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This comparison photo doesn't reflect each monte carlo some of what I have seen look diffrent to the location of the headlight to the bumper
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that on Donnie's car, the turn signal covers have been brought to a point and the nose panel slopes down more.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR wrote:
This comparison photo doesn't reflect each monte carlo some of what I have seen look diffrent to the location of the headlight to the bumper

Please post a sample.......in the hundreds of magazines and books I can find one. Thanks
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaveVan wrote:
WR wrote:

Please post a sample.......in the hundreds of magazines and books I can find one. Thanks

Yes, in fact multiple examples would be quite welcome. The more visuals we have the better off we'll be.

Don't confuse the extra blue beneath the headlights, Petty ran with the cleaner panel in place on his Monte Carlo's.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this car shows the slope of the fenders VERY well.

And this one shows the height of the headlight panels on a "stock" or showroom car.

Most drivers removed the panel between the bumper and header it seems and adjusted the fenders accordingly to gain a couple inches of slope on the front. This also explains the change in angle of the nose panel over the grille.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. I'm sitting here looking at the front and both headlight circles are off center, to the left. Apparently the car is attempting to spot someone in the stands. Laughing
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdamtheWayne wrote:

Most drivers removed the panel between the bumper and header it seems and adjusted the fenders accordingly to gain a couple inches of slope on the front. This also explains the change in angle of the nose panel over the grille.

I do NOT see the rectangle raised area behind the round headlight door on the stock or race version......Please someone find the rare version that has this Chevy option.
WR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved took less than 10 min just sanded up under both headlight's about a 1/16 or better then sanded the center of the nose piece the same looks great
tlaferri

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR wrote:
Problem solved took less than 10 min just sanded up under both headlight's about a 1/16 or better then sanded the center of the nose piece the same looks great

Yep, that's what Im planning to do as well!
Mark C.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Donnie Allison car looks like the front end was cheated a little by narrowing it up. If you look at the 2 silver stripes on the bumper you can see that the signal light areas are narrowed, as if slices were taken out of the bumper and welded back together again. I recall there was a bit of a scandal back then when a number of teams were caught narrowing their front ends to reduce surface area and improve aero.

Also, why do they call it a 1978? Is that the year it ran? Seems confusing to me, but maybe it's just me...

Mark C.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR wrote:

Sounds good. Can you post pictures so the rest of us can see how it came out?
WR

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure how to post pictures but it is a simple fix.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark C. wrote:
The Donnie Allison car looks like the front end was cheated a little by narrowing it up. If you look at the 2 silver stripes on the bumper you can see that the signal light areas are narrowed, as if slices were taken out of the bumper and welded back together again. I recall there was a bit of a scandal back then when a number of teams were caught narrowing their front ends to reduce surface area and improve aero.

Also, why do they call it a 1978? Is that the year it ran? Seems confusing to me, but maybe it's just me...

This is a '73 Monte, but Donnie ran it for the last time in '78 and got his final win in it. Narrowing the bumpers to bring the edges flush with the body was common practice with most teams and allowable by NASCAR at the time.
AdamtheWayne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR wrote:

You can sign up for a free account at a hosting site like IMGUR. It can upload photos from your comp and give you links for each picture for websites. It's as easy as clicking your mouse. Hope this helps.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:24 pm    Post subject: Salvino models Reply with quote

LOL!!!
Mack

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Salvino models Reply with quote

LOL!!!

I thought you left?
Gary66
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 coming on order, so I did my part to help the industry. I can't say if I will buy more until I get one in my hands and see if I can live with it or not. I have a good amount of the Revell snap kit and plenty of Amt 1990's kits to use a chassis from for most of the decals I have already have.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WR wrote:

I'll offer a album free in my paid Fotki account for any photos you wish to post here in the spirt of helping make things better. E-mail them to me addy in my profile...thx
R.J.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only 73 to 78 Monte Carlo I have built is the 77 Revell wheels of fire kit that I converted to a race version. This was tons of work sanding off a Landau top and molding trim scribing the hood open and then all the race conversion stuff, I was one and done. If I were to build another I feel I would be ahead to start with the Salvinos kit but I think it would be almost as much work as converting a street car or starting with a resin body. I applaud their effort and will buy a kit to add to my collection and hope for better things to come in the future from them.
Below is a Revell Wheels of fire snap kit body on a monogram chassis

tlaferri

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gary66 wrote:
I have 2 coming on order, so I did my part to help the industry. I can't say if I will buy more until I get one in my hands and see if I can live with it or not. I have a good amount of the Revell snap kit and plenty of Amt 1990's kits to use a chassis from for most of the decals I have already have.

Bought one off Mikes site and it arrived the other day, overall I'm happy with it
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

" are you talkin to me?" This is hysterical! Grown men ready to fight over a toy car! Because after all isn't that this what they are? Do you really think I'm not watching? Beautiful work RJ by the way, lack of bumpers stopped me in my tracks years ago, and the six hours worth of sanding that vinyl top off went to waste because I couldn't deal with how the bumpers come out looking. I did mine as soon as the kit came out before there was anybody resin casting parts for it. I'm going to go back in the shadows now, I think everybody would appreciate if you could keep the negativity to yourselves. And this goes for both sides of this argument. I'm being sarcastic again. LOL!
badfoot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobby cab driver check your pm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Grayside Racers Corner 1973 - 1989 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: