Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Junior Johnson 63 Chevrolet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DR JAY

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:57 pm    Post subject: Junior Johnson 63 Chevrolet Reply with quote

Hello all...I am working on the start of Junior's Mystery Motor 63 and have a couple of engineering-type questions that aren't covered by the vast selection of topside pictures on the web...mostly underbelly details.
-When using the truck trailing arms, did he maintain the stock length or did he shorten them up a bit. I ask this because the long arms bring the front mount locations to just in front of the hanger bearing location and that geometry seems like it would interfere with the 3x2 rectangular tubing added between the frame and the rockers for the roll cage pick up points. (Unless the rect tube was channeled/raised up into the floor for trailing arm clearance--the interior asbestos mat in my picture reference file hides any detail like this.) I understand that the floor was "relieved" for truck arm clearance, but I still wonder about those outriggers hassling the arm's travel/movement.

-Where/how were the rear shocks mounted? Using the already available mount for the single shocks makes sense to me, but where were the extras attached to the arms and were the upper mounts attached to the frame or was an extra upper mount bar welded across the top of the frame kick up? I understand from other research that Rex White moved around a crossmember for shock and watts link clearance on his car and wonder if Junior did the same.

-Rear axle source...Did Junior, and the others for that matter, use a truck rear axle or the passenger car axle. Junior ran 5 lug hubs (Easy enough to convert the 1:1 truck axle to aftermarket 5 lugs) and I wonder if the more stout truck rear end was between them for the beefier axles and diff parts.

-Fuel tank location...was it stock or moved towards the back a bit? My reference pics show that the filler neck geometry inside the trunk is a little off for oem location and the sheetmetal that covers the trunk well in the floor could indicate that the well was removed, covered flat and the tank moved back somewhat

-Front control arms...were they boxed with steel for strength or were they layered using 2 stampings and welded together? A hard detail to see in scale, I know, but if it's really there I will add the detail to the project because I'll know if it's missing.

-Decals...who makes the best quality/most accurate decal set for this car?

Thanks for looking and any accurate info would be greatly appreciated. I have dozens of great reference pics, but none from the hoist view of the car.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used Lobographix for the decals. They did a set for Jr''so car and the 3 other cars run during the season .
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just look at the RK Motors video of this car, as Bobby has noted.

Last edited by "Fireball" on Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:26 am    Post subject: Jr's 63 Chevrolet Reply with quote

There is a RK Motors video on YouTube titled "Junior Johnson and his 63 Chevrolet Impala" that is a must-see. The video consists of Junior Johnson and legendary crew chief Mike Beam walking through the only surviving original 63 Impala and Junior telling the story of the modifications involved in building the car, including the car being on a lift describing the modifications to the chassis. It clearly shows the truck arms installed outside of the X- frame, the shock mounts and panhard Bar and the general how's and why's of what they did. There's also some additional gems in this video like a shot taken from the back of the car that clearly shows the rear window straps and how they were mounted. A must-see for both you guys building these cars and anybody with interest in mid sixties Grand National cars.

Last edited by Bobby The Cabdriver on Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
C5HM

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Junior Johnson 63 Chevrolet Reply with quote

DR JAY wrote:
Hello all...I am working on the start of Junior's Mystery Motor 63 and have a couple of engineering-type questions that aren't covered by the vast selection of topside pictures on the web...mostly underbelly details.
-When using the truck trailing arms, did he maintain the stock length or did he shorten them up a bit. I ask this because the long arms bring the front mount locations to just in front of the hanger bearing location and that geometry seems like it would interfere with the 3x2 rectangular tubing added between the frame and the rockers for the roll cage pick up points. (Unless the rect tube was channeled/raised up into the floor for trailing arm clearance--the interior asbestos mat in my picture reference file hides any detail like this.) I understand that the floor was "relieved" for truck arm clearance, but I still wonder about those outriggers hassling the arm's travel/movement.

-Where/how were the rear shocks mounted? Using the already available mount for the single shocks makes sense to me, but where were the extras attached to the arms and were the upper mounts attached to the frame or was an extra upper mount bar welded across the top of the frame kick up? I understand from other research that Rex White moved around a crossmember for shock and watts link clearance on his car and wonder if Junior did the same.

-Rear axle source...Did Junior, and the others for that matter, use a truck rear axle or the passenger car axle. Junior ran 5 lug hubs (Easy enough to convert the 1:1 truck axle to aftermarket 5 lugs) and I wonder if the more stout truck rear end was between them for the beefier axles and diff parts.

-Fuel tank location...was it stock or moved towards the back a bit? My reference pics show that the filler neck geometry inside the trunk is a little off for oem location and the sheetmetal that covers the trunk well in the floor could indicate that the well was removed, covered flat and the tank moved back somewhat

-Front control arms...were they boxed with steel for strength or were they layered using 2 stampings and welded together? A hard detail to see in scale, I know, but if it's really there I will add the detail to the project because I'll know if it's missing.

Thanks for looking and any accurate info would be greatly appreciated. I have dozens of great reference pics, but none from the hoist view of the car.

Lots of photos here. https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=junior+johnson+63+impala+rk+motors&id=53C1875976D1B9415A23A3C700116738FF550C27&FORM=IQFRBA
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Junior Johnson 63 Reply with quote

Is there any Forum members in the Philadelphia area? This car is now in the Simone Museum, and I Know It least one guy who wants more pictures of it.
DR JAY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I don't know how I missed that video...
Bill J

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am working on a 63 Impala, Junior Johnson car right now. I actually started on it around 1989, so my enthusiasm has been up and down. I only had the old AMT kit to work with and it had the one piece, promo style chassis and bucket interior with console and rear sear molded in.

Years later, AMT issued the 62 Impala bubble top kit which has a detailed chassis and an interior with separate side panels and a rear seat removed. I decided to sacrifice the 62 parts for my 63 project. I left the interior bottom alone aside from sanding off some carpet detail and sanded the door panels flat.

Chassis is another story. I originally was going to leave it alone and use the incorrect short trailing arms because Junior's car was the only one with long trailing arms and who'd care? Well, apparently I care because I just today spent hours working on converting to the long arms. It was not easy, hard to duplicate the actual car and I still have a ways to go before I can call it accomplished.

What I did was remove parts of the chassis floor board, added flat sheet in areas like the foot wells and made some accommodation for the travel of the arms. I used Monogram 83-89 T'Bird trailing arms because they were longer than the GM kit arms (not sure that any are correct length). The Ford kit arms got my front end up about where the 1:1 car is mounted.

For an engine, I used one from an AMT 67 Impala, scored on ebay, brand new. It is a MKIV 427 which is outwardly the same as a MKII 427 engine. The headers were gifted to me by a board member and are from the AMT 66 Impala Modified kit and are close to the original cast iron headers used in 1963. Wheels and tires are PPP.

Roll cage was scratch built from 3/32" plastic tubing. There really is not much difficulty other than just making everything fit together Although this project has been stashed away for years/decades, I am determined to actually apply myself and get it finished, soon.

My decals are a combination of Yesterday's sheet and the nice Lobographix sheet, the Lobographix sheet offers more sponsor options and should add some individuality to the build, I hope. Paint will be Tamiya spray can pure white.

I still have a ways to go on that chassis with the long arms and everything is unpainted and mostly unassembled at this point of fitting and refitting.

I will say, if I was starting today, I would track down the newer, more detailed Revell 63 Impala kit and work with it, much nicer kit overall. I do have a Revell and have begun with the goal of making the Yunick/Rutherford car. Goal is to do that one after the JJ car is done.

Will try to get some pictures taken to add to this, they will show how some of it has been attempted, thus far along.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:16 am    Post subject: Jr's 63 Chevrolet Reply with quote

Quick tip, the AMT 66 Buick Riviera has a separate X frame chassis and most of the floor pan is similar to the 63 Chevy. It's on the way to North Carolina as soon as "Fireball"sends me my Johan Sox and Martin prostock Hemi. I think that's a pretty fair trade! LOL!
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Jr's 63 Chevrolet Reply with quote

Bobby The Cabdriver wrote:
Quick tip, the AMT 66 Buick Riviera has a separate X frame chassis and most of the floor pan is similar to the 63 Chevy. It's on the way to North Carolina as soon as "Fireball"sends me my Johan Sox and Martin prostock Hemi. I think that's a pretty fair trade! LOL!

Thanks Bobby for the tip on the Riviera chassis. Crazy busy here, as you know, Bobby. I haven't forgotten your S&M hemi, and other assorted items you need. Can you post the pics I sent you of Junior's '63 Impala? This person's build of this car is awesome, the chassis with the long truck arms, diff, shocks, track arm, engine, etc... is spot on. Bobby's knowledge of racing chassis, and applying it to model car builds is outstanding. I know first hand, from my personal hands on inspection of his builds. I'd like to see a closer view of how the front shocks, mounts, control arms, etc.. were treated on Junior's '63 Impala, and sure Dr Jay would as well.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: Jr's 63 Chevrolet Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. As a kid, my dream in life was to be a chassis builder. I remember having my grandmother order me Steve Smith chassis books like "how to build a race car in 1000 pictures" or whatever. I was more interested in the chassis and suspension tech stories in SCR then the race reports. My favorite pictures of Richard Petty were are the ones taken in his shop. I had Chrysler kit car catalogs . I was the guy laying on the floor at the North Carolina Motorsports Hall of Fame in Mooresville almost 20 years ago. Unfortunately, the Good Lord decided to give me a stigmatism and when I was learning how to weld in my late teens,I started seeing spots and getting headaches. When I went to the optometrist and found out that with my stigmatism and the junk equipment available to me.... it's a good thing I'm not allergic to zap a gap, styrene and Squadron putty. LOL!
Bill J

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chassis on the left is modified for trailing arms. I still need to make a mount for the front end of the arms and mount the axle in the proper wheelbase position. Not exactly the same as the 1:1 car but close in plastic.
This is using the 62 Impala bubbletop AMT kit chassis and interior, with 63 dashboard.
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J, anymore progress, and pics? What are you going to use for the long truck arms, and their mounts to the X-member frame. What do you have in mind for the front suspension, and clip? Thanks for sharing with us.
Bill J

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front suspension is the stock 62 bubble top AMT kit suspension. Added a hole to lower the front end a little and will be adding dual shocks.

Rear is the long arms from an older Monogram T'Bird kit, they were the longest arms I could find. Mounting is best I could replicate the 1:1 chassis picture although the mounting is a little further back than on the real car due to the way the kit frame is and the length of the trailing arms.

The shock mounts will be the square tubing that is added to the rear end, which is the way the real car was done. Still a work in progress, there really is a lot of scratch building and mods that go into the AMT 63 Chevy kit to make the replica. Fun, but slow going.

I have to say, if I was starting all over, I would use the Revell 63 Chevy kit, much nicer and more accurate overall easier to work with. I started this AMT 63 back in the late '80's and when the AMT 62 bubbletop came out, added that frame, Only recently got back to the car and really get it done a piece at a time. Too many other things to interrupt me!
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet!!! What are the advantages of using the AMT '63 kit over the '62 kit, other than the obvious? I have several of the same kits you're using set aside for the same project you're building, and the AMT '63 for the 3 car. I believe there were at least three of these cars built, maybe four, two by Ray, and two by Smokie. I was wanting to build them all. Thanks so very much for sharing your build with us!!!
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fireball" wrote:
Sweet!!! What are the advantages of using the AMT '63 kit over the '62 kit, other than the obvious? I have several of the same kits you're using set aside for the same project you're building, and the AMT '63 for the 3 car. I believe there were at least three of these cars built, maybe four, two by Ray, and two by Smokie. I was wanting to build them all. Thanks so very much for sharing your build with us!!!

The Revell '63 Impala was newly tooled in the late '90s or early 2000s and includes a separate frame and floor pan as well as opening trunk.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fireball,
Ray Fox had 4 cars. Lobo graphix has all 4 decal sheets
Bill
Bill J

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best kit for a 63 Chevy is definitely the newer Revell kit as Tom said. I am building another 63 using the Revell kit to make the Smokey car.

The AMT 62 bubble top has a decent chassis with separate suspension and axle, where as the AMT 63 kit had the one piece promo style chassis, which would be fine for a shelf build without much detail. That is why the 62 chassis under the 63 body.

I have no evidence to collaborate this but as far as I know the Junior Johnson 63 was the only one with the long truck arms. The Yunick car had stock style factory arms and possibly the other Ray Fox cars had a more stock rear suspension. Almost for sure the Yunick car was the factory 63 Chevy short arms. to my mind, it was a risk in 1963 to change the rear suspension radically. It could have very well been disqualified because of the long arms, seems reasonable to only try it on one chassis. Just a guess.

So, this particular build I am doing will be the Junior Johnson #3 car. The Revell I have will be built into the Yunick #13 car, using the primarily stock suspension setup from the Revell kit.
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom M. wrote:
The Revell '63 Impala was newly tooled in the late '90s or early 2000s and includes a separate frame and floor pan as well as opening trunk.

Thanks Tom for catching that, I have two of the old AMT Prestige '63 kits, five, or six of the newer AMT '61-'62 kits, and one of the newer Revell '63 kits. The body in the old AMT '63 kit looks real close to the newer Revell '63 kit body. I was pleasantly surprised. The wheel base length appears to be a little shorter in the AMT '61-'62 kits, than either of the '63 kits.

Bill J, I'm liking what I'm seeing, and you addressed my next question about if all of the cars had long truck arms. Also, there were 5 cars, Ray had 4, and Smokie had 1?
Bill J

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it was Fox had 3 cars. Clements had one car, Yunick had one and there was a car driven by Bubba Farr. This was the Daytona 500.
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J wrote:
I believe it was Fox had 3 cars. Clements had one car, Yunick had one and there was a car driven by Bubba Farr. This was the Daytona 500.

So, there were six of these cars. Thanks for clearing that up. Have you checked the wheel base length between the '62, and '63 kits?
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox had 3, 33, 03 and 31 in National 400 in Charlotte
Bill
Bill J

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Fireball" wrote:
Bill J wrote:

So, there were six of these cars. Thanks for clearing that up. Have you checked the wheel base length between the '62, and '63 kits?

I can't say I checked the wheelbase but I sure hope I did because my chassis is complete suspension wise and it's going under the 63 Impala. I am using a 62 and 63 AMT kit for this build. Revell does make both a 62 and 63 Impala also but no need to swap chassis on the Revell, it comes with a great chassis.

BTW, the car Bubba Farr drove at Daytona may have been a Z-11 427 and not the "mystery motor". If I remember right, the Junior Johnson car was the only one that won some races in '63. Chevy put a halt to the program and all they had was the parts and engines that were given out at the beginning of the season.
C5HM

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bill J"][quote=""Fireball""]
Bill J wrote:

BTW, the car Bubba Farr drove at Daytona may have been a Z-11 427 and not the "mystery motor". If I remember right, the Junior Johnson car was the only one that won some races in '63. Chevy put a halt to the program and all they had was the parts and engines that were given out at the beginning of the season.

Farr's car *was* Mystery Motor powered for the 63 Daytona 500. But just that race. He had to give that engine back when the race was over.
BVAUGHN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe both Junior Johnson and Rex White drove 63 Corvette with the mystery motors in the Daytona Continental race too.
Bill
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill J, put your '62 body together with either '63 body, it appears to me that the '62 w.b. is shorter. I think the difference can be fudged at the rear suspension/diff to work.

BVAUGHN, I've seen pics, and read articles on Junior's 'Vette at Daytona with a mystery motor in it. Also have seen pictures of it on the track with another team "Vette, I assumed it to be, as they were very similar to each other.

Also, did Ray use the truck front torsion bar suspension on his cars? It sure appears to me that he used the truck rear suspension long truck arms, and other H.D. truck parts on his '63 Chevys.

Bill J, any more progress on your '63 Chevy build to share with us?
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Junior Johnson 63 Chevrolet Reply with quote

DR JAY wrote:

DR JAY, I'm looking forward to your Mystery Motor '63 Chevy build. Care to share some of your ideas/observations/thoughts, etc... that you have learned in your build research so far? Your builds are well researched, detailed, and well engineered very close to the way that the real vehicles were built. I appreciate that aspect of your builds, very much. If Ray ran the H.D. truck axles, diff, and truck arms it'd seem that he'd also run the H.D. truck six lug wheels as well?
Tom M.
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BVAUGHN wrote:
Fox had 3, 33, 03 and 31 in National 400 in Charlotte
Bill

There was no #31 car in the National 400. The #31 car that Paschal drove in the Firecracker was the main superspeedway car (blue interior) that Junior had won at Atlanta only four days earlier. Junior chose the short track car for the Firecracker because they didn't have time to rebuild and prepare the Atlanta car.
DR JAY

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Junior Johnson 63 Chevrolet Reply with quote

"Fireball" wrote:
DR JAY wrote:

DR JAY, I'm looking forward to your Mystery Motor '63 Chevy build. Care to share some of your ideas/observations/thoughts, etc... that you have learned in your build research so far? Your builds are well researched, detailed, and well engineered very close to the way that the real vehicles were built. I appreciate that aspect of your builds, very much. If Ray ran the H.D. truck axles, diff, and truck arms it'd seem that he'd also run the H.D. truck six lug wheels as well?

...Basically, the project has stalled until I complete 2 nearly-finished projects for A spring IPMS contest. I have all of the RK motors pictures on file and with the hoist footage from the video the Good Dr suggested, my reference is more or less complete. I haven't decided if I'm building for a specific race or not...
Every picture that i've seen of Junior's 63 showed it rolling on 5 lug hubs...Rex White too, for that matter.
There IS one detail that I want to add that was suggested to me a few years ago by someone who was there (which also may dictate that I build for a certain race):At tracks like Darlington where the Armco came into play as a rule rather than an exception, Junior ran a spring leaf in the trunk floor drop to keep the quarter from rubbing the RR after banking off of the guardrail. I haven't seen the evidence to back it up, but it's a cool detail to add.
"Fireball"

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm seeing all five lug wheels in ref pics of these cars also. Thought I'd read somewhere in an article that at one track they had to use the six lug wheels, because that track was killing the five lug wheels. My research shows 1962 was the last year NASCAR allowed them to run the six lug wheels. However, that car was allowed to do pretty much whatever they pleased. Can't locate the article that I'm referring to, still looking.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: