Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where do y’all get you modeling supplies?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dawgvet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:06 am    Post subject: Where do y’all get you modeling supplies? Reply with quote

I’m trying to get back into building a couple cars and hoping my son may join in. Where do you all get your modeling supplies? I don’t have a local hobby shop that I know of besides the local Hobby Lobby. HobbytownUSA is a bit of a drive and I’d honestly rather deal with a small shop instead. Where is a good place for things like BMF, Flexi-Files, detail parts, etc?
Also, if anyone miss of a good place on the north side of Atlanta or north Georgia, let me know.
Any help appreciated.
Thanks,
Jed
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Modelroundup, Mikes decals, SMHRacing.......

https://www.modelroundup.com/

https://www.mikesdecals.com/

http://stores.smhracing.com/

There are others that are equally as good, I'm sure their names will show up here.
DaveVan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobby Lobby carries most Flexi-files items and at 40% off....a deal!!
I buy from a hobby shop....but it's 2.5 hour drive....so....
Amazon and ebay for my Tamiya paints, tape and putty.
Also I get some supplies from Dick Blick art stores.
Racer14

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbylinc.com is based in Braselton, GA. Not sure if that is near you or if they do over the counter sales but they have about everything you could ever need with very good prices.
R.J.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Local hobby shop here that caters to the Train guys but carries most of the paint and building supplies that I need. Most all kits and decals I buy are purchased online.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Get your supplies Reply with quote

As far as mail order goes, you can't beat Model Empire in West Allis, Wisconsin. Good prices on current kits, great selection and good prices on out of production kits and every major brand of paint, glue, and tools. They also carry an assortment of aftermarket decals ,military and aircraft models,Jimmy Flintstone resin figures, how to books and even slot cars. And the best part, you can get a knowledgeable person on the phone who knows not only what's on the Shelf but is part of the family-owned business. They produce a print catalog from time to time and I believe they have a PDF file catalog that is downloadable, but you can forget about doing it on a cell phone, it's about 200 pages long! God, I miss Auto World. You got to love Oscar, selling models and slot cars to finance his Can-Am racing! My hero! Who didn't have at least 1 catalog taken away by a teacher in school?
buildit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.scalehobbyist.com has a good selection of kits, materials and supplies, and the prices seem pretty reasonable compared to other sites. I've done quite a bit of business with them and have never been disappointed.
Northeasthawk05

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As mentioned in a previous reply I like scalehobbyist online and I try to visit my local hobby shop here in Massillon, Ohio. I'm lucky because he is the same person who makes the model car world paints. I save alot on shipping and its usually a one day turnaround if he has to mix the paint.
BW

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jed. Hope all is well. Being that you live near the Atlanta area, I would try to make the Atlanta NNL (ACME Club) Show. It's held usually during the 1st or 2nd Saturday in November. It one of the biggest model shows with tons of vendors and you can usually find anything you need or are looking for. I buy most of my supplies at model shows and on line it's usually Mike's Decals, Southern Motorsports Hobbies (SMH), or Hobbylinc.
Hope this helps!
Bobby

Here is the info for the Atlanta NNL Show November 2, 2019:
http://www.scaleautomag.com/how-to-models/hobby-faq/2018/11/save-the-date-nnl-south-2019
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Modeling supplies Reply with quote

Everybody, and I mean everybody on this forum, orders stuff online and through mail order because we have to. I don't think there's a One Stop hobby shop left in this whole country. Particularly when it comes to specialty stuff like resin parts and aftermarket decals. But if there is a hobby shop that has the things that you need locally that is not a big box store, it's up to you to support them. Even if it means driving half an hour or an hour out of your way, particularly if you have kids, the thrill of walking into a well-stocked hobby shop with that out of production model or discontinued can of paint that you've been looking for can't be described as anything but a thrill. Yes, ordering those decals from Mike's Decals to build a car you saw win the Daytona 500 on Wide World of Sports or ordering that Chevelle Sportsman body like the one your uncle raced on dirt in the early 70s in resin from SMH is a different kind of thrill, but there's nothing like walking into the old school, Mom and Pop, non-corporate hobby shop where they're actually glad to see you.
bangor boy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in the heart of mighty, massive Toronto, we've been blessed with a trio of great hobby outlets for many years.

For auto kit builders, Wheels and Wings Hobbies is an incredible resource base. Great selection of materials to build or paint with, be it Evergreen plastic, Tamiya paint, aftermarket decals, specialized tools and a phenomenal selection of new releases or kits acquired from buying collections. Close enough for me to walk to and, in summer, nicely tucked into the area that includes my barber shop and Carters, an ice cream outlet that serves a selection from the amazing Kawartha Dairy menu. The KD outlet near our cottage is a license to print money.

A drive and a flop wedge east on Danforth Ave. is John's Hobbies. They offer services to a broader spectrum of hobbyists, focusing on trains and the thriving RC marketplace. Not as many kits, but they have a great stock of paints and building materials and often buy kits from collectors making it worthwhile to drop in and browse. Very friendly staff.

After many years of great service to the hobby, the nearby Hornet Hobbies just closed down this month, a victim of the long-term disruptions caused by construction of a new subway line just north of their location. Happy to learn that the proprietor is linking up with the nearby outlets to continue his informative series of building and painting seminars. On the bright side, my weight will stabilize from not being tempted to visit the nearby Sultan of Samosas, a popular shop offering an amazing variety of the tasty East Indian pastries.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:10 am    Post subject: Modeling supplies Reply with quote

You are a lucky man BB, we only have one non-corporate hobby shop here in Austin who trys to cover way too many bases and subjects and don't do any of it well. They have a privately owned slot car track in the back with extremely wealthy competitors running extremely high dollar cars who are now being forced to share the room with grown men who play with Pokemon cards. Hahaha!!! LOL!!! They have empty racks that should be full of testors paint,they have very few Automotive kits and an attitude of if you don't like it you can take your business elsewhere. As a result, Hobby Lobby with their 40% discount gets most of my current kit and paint business, but you can forget about a question getting answered or for somebody to have has the keys to the paint case without waiting 20 minutes. We also have HobbyTown here who don't have much interest in modeling, they're too wrapped up with spoiled children who need their RC cars fixed,right now. And I love paying $9 for a half spoiled tube of Squadron putty.
Hot Wheels

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Online : EBay etc...
Taz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For auto kit builders, Wheels and Wings Hobbies is an incredible resource base. Great selection of materials to build or paint with, be it Evergreen plastic, Tamiya paint, aftermarket decals, specialized tools and a phenomenal selection of new releases or kits acquired from buying collections. Close enough for me to walk to and, in summer, nicely tucked into the area that includes my barber shop and Carters, an ice cream outlet that serves a selection from the amazing Kawartha Dairy menu. The KD outlet near our cottage is a license to print money.

After many years of great service to the hobby, the nearby Hornet Hobbies just closed down this month, a victim of the long-term disruptions caused by construction of a new subway line just north of their location. Happy to learn that the proprietor is linking up with the nearby outlets to continue his informative series of building and painting seminars. On the bright side, my weight will stabilize from not being tempted to visit the nearby Sultan of Samosas, a popular shop offering an amazing variety of the tasty East Indian pastries.[/quote]

You forgot to mention Wheels and Wings offer mail order, great if you can't get to the store, and Donnie and Will are full of info.
Sorry to hear about Hornet, always stopped in on my way to WWH.

Ron
Pat Redmond
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also sorry to hear of Hornet Hobbies closing. Dave had a good store.
As for Wheels & Wings, yes, THE store in Toronto.
Back 15 years ago when I was in Toronto helping run Group 25 Model Club and the annual contest, there were plenty of 'full service' hobby shops. I hear there are less now. A number of supporters for our contests with donations of prizes and sponsoring of awards.

I'm in Windsor, Ontario now. I have a good hobby shop with hobby supply essentials 3 blocks away.
I go to Model Cave in Ypsilanti, Mich. once a month to a full service + hobby shop.
Barry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:44 am    Post subject: Where do you get your model supplies? Reply with quote

I do a lot of mail order mostly from Mikes Decals, Spotlight Hobbies, and Speed City Resin. I have always had good service from these vendors, and a fast turn around time.The closest hobby shop for me is about a 20 minute drive to a well stocked little store. Trouble is, he charges 3-4 times MSRP on all his kits.I just pick up mostly some small stuff I need like paint, and Evergreen etc. Now, every time we visit friends in Kingston, the wives go shopping, my chum and I make a B-line to Leading Edge Hobbies. Well stocked,with just about everything you need from model kits, RC, trains, books, building supplies,etc. Wheels and Wings I have heard of, and, I'll check it out. They just might have the vintage kit I'm looking for.
Barry
Ontario, Canada
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:26 am    Post subject: Modeling supplies Reply with quote

If you're looking for vintage kits and not looking to deal with the eBay drama like me, a good source for vintage kits is Gasoline Alley in Seattle Washington. Their prices on some things can be a little bit on the high side and they move a little bit slow but they have hundreds of kits on hand as well as some discounted started and open kits available. They keep a pretty up-to-date list on their website and they do phone orders as well, for us old school people who still believe in doing business directly with a human being. Being since they do sell a lot of open kits, you might find a part or two missing every now and then, but if you're a kit basher and you're not interested in building out of the box, by the instructions to the letter models, it's not a big deal. I just picked up several open out of production kits from them for in between 8 and $12 without any major issues.
Dennis O
Board Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of them, I'll have to take a look. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: