Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best way to paint black on a chrome wheel?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SawgrassRaven

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:18 am    Post subject: Best way to paint black on a chrome wheel? Reply with quote

Gentlemen.
What's the best way to paint a chrome wheel so that there's a black inside? I've got a DoH Charger that I want to use the kit wheels on, but not sure the best way to achieve this effect.

how many years to become a forensic anthropologist
Jim N

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a black wash. Below is a picture of what I have done.

kurth

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Black wash is going to be the easiest way. You could also very carefully paint it with a brush. Or you could mask and airbrush it using something like aizu micron masking tape

https://hlj.com/micron-masking-tape-0-4mm-x-8m-aiz00014
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Detailing Wheels Reply with quote

Yes black-wash does work but in the case of the wheels in question, which are American Racing Vector Wheels, these are cast aluminum. The way that I go about painting a cast aluminum wheel like these or Shelby,Fenton or Center lines,would be to First strip the Chrome with Easy Off, paint them with the thinnest coat possible of flat black and then spray them from a distance with a flat silver or aluminum very lightly until it looks right. Most cases barely even a full pass with the silver. For magnesium Wheels like Halsbrands, I use a cheap solid gold color. Same procedure and if they look too flat, a quick shot of testors Ultra gloss clear lacquer should do the trick. This kind of procedure works well for chrome valve covers as well, in particular, the ones in AMT and monogram NASCAR kits.

Last edited by Bobby The Cabdriver on Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Firefly

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like you are looking to isolate the painted black areas on the wheels. When I was building a lot of street stock Fords - with Magnum 500 wheels, similar to those, I would just brush flat black over the chrome. Of course that resulted in sloppy edges, but I could scrape off the unwanted paint with a toothpick. Flat enamel scrapes off real easy from chrome. Follow with a wash if you like.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Nascar Modeling Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: