Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Petty 71 Roadrunner replica going to auction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject: Petty 71 Roadrunner replica going to auction Reply with quote

At the upcoming Mecum Auction, Richard Petty is auctioning off a 71 Roadrunner which in a promotional video they say is a "clone" built by a gentleman in California. Is this the same car that made the same rounds through magazines like Hot Rod (Oct 05)and Mopar Muscle(Nov 05) years ago as a restored Petty Enterprises built car?
odcics2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some vintage 1971 pics of a Petty RR and the underhood bars do not match the car for sale.

In fact, they don't match the other Petty RR out there! Go figure.

As always, buyer beware.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Petty 71 Roadrunner replica going to auction Reply with quote

But is this the car that was in hot rod and several other Publications? Richard (or Kyle I forgot which) clearly state that this particular car is a replica. And going back to the story in Hot Rod, they make jokes about how much the car is worth and how the Builder wants to build a fleet of 1977 Pontiac Firebirds with the idea that they're eventually going to do a "Rockford Files"movie. Only in California! LOL! Mopar Muscle Magazine makes no bones about the car in question being the real deal. Again, is this the same car? They don't show any detail pictures on the promotional video and the contingency stickers on the fenders are different but the wheel well cut outs look identical. If this is the same car and the statements in Hot Rod Magazine about its perceived value are true, the question is did somebody pay six figures for this car and get burned? And just like how "Fireball" told me how heartbreaking it was finding out the Joe Weatherly Mercury in the Darlington Museum was a fake, I myself thought I was looking at the real thing in these magazine stories for almost 15 years.
Sundance

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: I am no expert by any stretch Reply with quote

but I would have to say no.

This pic is from the Hot Rod website

and if you look at the mecum site

https://www.mecum.com/lots/FL0119-359783/1971-plymouth-road-runner/

I did not see any under hood bars at all. There would be no reason to remove the under hood bars on the car. Even during a rebuild. In addition, where did the original intake slot in the firewall go? Replacing firewalls is not horrible, but since they are seldom damaged, why would you? And with a factory firewall at that.

A number of things on the Mecum car are different. The fuel cell well on the Mecum car is smaller, tail light covers look different and the added chin spoiler & under dash bar just look odd to me.

Since it is described as a replica, I doubt that they are the same car.

What is really interesting is that according to the mecum site, it is listed as a car from the Petty collection. Odd, that the Pettys would have a car in their collection that is pretty far off from the raced version. Having been to the museum and race shop a number of times and spoke to the staff, you would not believe how much stuff (including cars) have been donated to them that actually have no direct relation to the Pettys at all. I wonder if this could be one of those donations.
badfoot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will add my 2 cents of knowledge on the mecum car or what may be the mecum car...I went to petty fest in 2016 and seen the a car that looks like the car on the mecum auction and will tell you what I noticed was that I don't think the car is even painted petty blue ..at least its not the blue that's on the other cars in the museum...it may have been the Chrysler 999 code petty blue or a Chrysler corporate blue of some type... you are correct the that the roll cage does not look right either... the bar under the dash is too low toward the floor of the car and is smaller than the other door bars and upright bars like its a 1 inch bar.... the tires also looked odd on it like they were way oversized and the fact that they are general brand tires and the car has a general tire sponsor on the fender... there is other info on the net about the car that looks like the mecum car but I cant recall what it said...the car I seen looks like a car purpose built for advertising just for the general tires sponsors... thad moffit..Richards grandsons car was on display and had general tires on it and they run the generals on the lower class nascar series cars. I do believe it was just a street car built for advertising. now I may be wrong but that's my conclusion.
badfoot

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry I just went to the mecum link and noticed the car didn't have the general sponsor on the fender but does have the general tires on it...they must have removed the decal ..I do have pics but no way to post them cause I broke the phone I had them on and I had them printed but no way to scan them into the computer
odcics2

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just saw the Auction car: it's NOT a stock car. Period.
Bobby The Cabdriver

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Petty 71 Roadrunner Reply with quote

The Petty's said right up front," it's a clone built by a guy in California" and you could be sure that if I had the money for it, I'd be breaking out the Sawzall and that cage would be on the floor within a couple of hours and I'd be out melting the tread off those General Tires as soon as I had some license plates on it! It might turn out to be a really good deal if the thing had a good Hemi in it. But it doesn't . I didn't see anything else on it when I posted, just the promo for the cars the Petty's are sending to the auction. You could also be sure everything stated is why it is for sale. They now have at least 3 real 71 to 74 PE cars. What do they need this thing for? I just hope that they restore the Mopar Dealer car back to its original White number 11 flat Hood configuration. For Buddy's memory to be sure. He won races in this car, the car was built for him and it was the first PE Dodge Charger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Randy Ayers Nascar Modeling Forums Forum Index -> Darkside Racers Corner 1948 - 1972 All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: